Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Great Texture Debate

The current trend to add texture overlays to photographs has been an interesting one. I know lots of people who do it and love it - and I know others who have chosen not to jump on the texture background. For the most part, I can't say that I love it. I like crisp and clean. I like color pop and contrast.

But today, I was bored. When I'm bored and Alex is at work, I play in photoshop. Mostly I've been working on creating my own PS actions to streamline any post processing I do (and cause I'm dorky like that). After a few hours of that though, my brain needed a break, so I decided to play with textures. Surprisingly, I found one that I liked, so I thought I'd share.



And because I'm bored, I saw this on a friend of a friend's blog and I'm going to steal it for something to do...

5 Things

5 things under $5 that I can’t live without
1. Sweet Tea
2. Oreo Cakesters
3. Tide to Go
4. my Ms Manicure nail file
5. Victoria Secret Minty Lip Shine (okay I don't remember if it's under $5 but I have one in my purse, one in my camera bag, one in my fleece coat, and one on the computer table - so it's safe to say I can't live without it)

5 favorite movies
1. A Few Good Men
2. Dirty Dancing
3. Freedom Writers
4. PS I Love You
5. Sweet Home Alabama

5 Baby names I love (some of these Alex doesn't agree on)
1. Ava
2. Reiley (a family name)
3. Poppy
4. Winter Grace (these two are a package deal)
5. Sophia

5 Songs I could listen to over and over again
1. The World I've Known (both Collective Soul and David Cook versions)
2. Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls
3. You and Me by Lifehouse
4. Heavenly Day by Patty Griffin
5. Teenage Wasteland by The Who

5 People who have influenced me in a positive way
1. Alex
2. my parents
3. Nana
4. Team Sassy
5. Sarah

5 Things that are always in my purse
1. Victoria's Secret Minty Lip Shine (see above)
2. wallet
3. cell phone
4. keys
5. checkbook (even though I don't ever write any)

5 moments that have changed my life forever
1. I don't know if anyone who reads this will know what I'm referring to but "I want to see him NOW"
2. alex proposing
3. moving to south carolina
4. throid cancer
5. going back to Acadia for my BEd

5 Obsessions I have right now
1. Food Network (I *heart* Giada & Ina Garten & The Neeleys)
2. Photoshop
3. David Cook
4. Chocolate
5. New lenses for my camera

5 places I would like to go
1. Italy
2. Englad to see Sassy
3. Greece
4. Barbados
5. Antarctic (okay I know I'm weird but I want to play with the penguins)

5 appliances/ kitchen tools I can’t live without
1. glasses
2. dishwasher
3. kitchen aid mixer
4. pots/pans
5. good knives

6 comments:

Jenn June 4, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

I agree that textures have a time and place but I like what you did; it's really subtle!
Also, I may have to steel your "5 things" because I'm home by myself this evening...gotta think of something to photograph first!

Sondra June 4, 2008 at 10:09 PM  

Love the 5 things... but I think you should explain the "I want to see him now" thing.. :) I'm a nosey person!

Alycia Hildebrand June 4, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

I agree with you and Jenn...texturing has to be one the right picture, and I don't like it to be too noticable!
Photoshop actions have got to be one of the best things about photoshop!
I just haven't figured out how to do them yet! Have fun with your action creations!

Lorelei June 6, 2008 at 12:26 PM  

I'm not a huge fan of textures either, like Jenn said, they definitely have a time and a place. I like it on some and not on others. I think that subtle, like yours, is the way to go.

And I might also steal the "5 things" list! Cool idea.

Anonymous June 7, 2008 at 1:28 AM  

Love the 5 things..I'm going to copy that on mine.

Theresa T June 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM  

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who isn't the biggest fan of hte texture thing. I believe that subtle is the way to go.

Of course I can't figure out how to use photoshop so I guess I don't have to worry about it too much.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates of the Fractal Blog Network

Back to TOP